Dear Room 4 Families,
What a fun week we had with Valentine’s Day! Thanks to all the parents who came in to volunteer and donated money and supplies for our “Love Bug” craft and cookies. Our class really enjoyed passing out Valentine’s and doing Valentine’s Day themed activities.
This week in English Language Arts we have been working on our reading comprehension skills via our reading centers. I am currently pulling students to re-assess reading levels to see if they can move up. We learned a new activity for our word work center this week and will soon be incorporating it into our rotations. We will also be starting partner reading once we practice and learn the routines.
This week in math, we have been continuing with addition strategies for larger numbers and have started subtraction strategies for larger numbers. We will continue with subtraction strategies next week. We have been enjoying using Front Row on the Chromebooks for individualized math instruction.
Some important announcements:
1. Our upcoming school schedule is different. Please make note:
- No school on Monday, February 20th.
- Minimum days on: 2/21, 2/22, 2/23, 2/24, and 2/27. We will be following the Wednesday schedule for all of these dates with lunch from 11:00-11:30 and dismissal at 1:00 pm.
2. The Math Benchmark 2 Assessment will be administered in about 2 weeks. It will include topics on:
- skip counting (by 2’s, 5’s, 10s, and 100’s from any 2- or 3-digit number)
- counting coins
- time telling to 5 minutes
- name and attributes (number of corners, sides, edges, vertices, faces, etc.) of 2D and 3D shapes
- sharing and equal shares (fractions)
- addition and subtraction using different strategies (count on/down, make a friendly 10 or 100, number line, fact family, etc.)
- solving word problems with addition and subtraction
Please help your child be prepared for it.
3. Second grade will be participating in the science fair this year. It will be part of the science and homework grades for your child’s trimester 3 report card. Detailed information was sent home today. Please read it over and help your child select a project question (aka an experiment). Your child needs to return the participation slip with their project question title written on it by Friday, 3/3/2017. Tri-fold boards will be sent home in late March along with a rubric. The project is due 4/25/2017 on the day of Open House.
4. Please check the PTA calendar for upcoming PTA events: https://sites.google.com/site/16to17chen/Event-Calendar
Here are next week’s homework links:
Thanks and have a great 3-day weekend!